In order to obtain a mailbox key, you will need to contact the Park City Post Office.  They require documentation that you are either the owner, or a current tenant, of the unit.  

Where is the closest bus stop?


There are a few options for transit in Park City-  https://www.parkcity.org/departments/transit-bus/how-to-ride

Click here for a schedule 


When are the pool and hot tub open?


The pool is open from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend.  The hours are from 9:00 am to 10:00 pm. 

Unfortunately, reserving the pool is not allowed, due to the limited space available for everyone to be able to enjoy it without experiencing overcrowding.  Pool Rules are posted, and will be enforced.  Violations for not adhering to the pool rules & regulations will be assessed.  Please request a copy of the rules & regulations from the HOA if you do not have them.  

The hot tub located between buildings 8 and 9 will be closed winter 2018-19.  Currently, repairs are needed and have been scheduled with Park City Pools.  After repairs have been completed, a total renovation of the hot tub will take place.  Updates will be provided to owners when a date can be provided as to the opening of the new, and improved amenity.  

Do I have covered parking?


Each unit is assigned one covered parking space that has a number, and another non-covered parking space is available for owners, too.  Reminder:  parking permits must be placed on driver's side lower left corner of vehicle windshield, or your car is subject to being towed from the community.  Make sure that guests park in designated areas, which are clearly marked with signs, or they are also subject to being towed without notice.   All vehicles must be in compliance with the Rules & Regulations of Powder Wood at Landmark.  Storing vehicles (even underneath an assigned carport) is permitted.  All state license tags must be current, and all vehicles must be in operable, running condition.  Vehicles with flat tires will be tagged and towed if not moved or repaired.  No repairs to vehicles can be done on the property.  For additional information please contact the Management Office at 435-649-3722.

Where do I get a parking permit?


Contact the management company to set up a time to get a parking permit.  Call them at 435-649-3722.   Parking permits are assigned to the unit.  If a pass has already been issued, a replacement cost of $75.00 is charged for a replacement.  If you sell you vehicle, remember to take your parking permit from it, and give it along with all of your Powder Wood keys, and amenity FOB to your realtor!!  If you are a new owner, the parking permit and other items should've been provided to you from the previous owner.  Two parking spaces per unit are permitted.  No additional parking permits are being issued at this time due to limited spaces being available for current residents.  

I lost my pool fob. What do I do to get another one?


A new fob will cost $75.00.  You will need to contact the property management company to obtain a replacement.  Call them at 435-649-3722.  Only owners may obtain amenity fobs.  If you are a renter, please contact the management company or owner of your condo.   

How do I book the clubhouse for a private event?


Contact the management company at 435-649-3722 to make a reservation.  A cost of $75.00 is charged to use the clubhouse for up to four hours.  A refundable $150.00 deposit must also be paid.  If the clubhouse is left in the same clean, undamaged condition that it was in previous to the event, the $150.00 fee is returned.  Events must end by 10:00 pm.  A clubhouse reservation agreement is required to be signed before any event can take place in the Powder Wood at Landmark clubhouse.  

What options do I have to make my monthly HOA payment?


HOA payments can be mailed to:  6975 N. 2200 W.   Park City, Utah  84098.  They can also be brought into the management office during business hours.  The office is located right inside of the Powder Wood at Landmark clubhouse.  Payments can also be made on the community Website by setting up an account with CIT Bank web-pay.  Instructions for doing this are on the website after going to "make a payment" at the top of the page.  One-time, or monthly payments can now be scheduled.  HOA payments are due on the first day of each month, and are late if they have not been received by the management company by the last day of each month.   Late payments do accrue late charges and interest, as is noted in the CC&R's of Powder Wood at Landmark.   

Does Powder Wood have recycling bins available?


A recycling bin is located on the south side of the property, near the maintenance shop.  The items that can be placed inside of the bin are:  cardboard, aluminum, paper, plastic such as water bottles, (no garbage bags) Please recycle, and be sure to break down any boxes before throwing them inside of the container.    No GLASS or METAL ITEMS are permitted.   There is also a recycling bin located further north, across from building 3.  The same items are permitted in this bin as the one located on the south end of the community.  

What items can I throw away inside of the trash bins?


Only household garbage items can be thrown away inside of the dumpsters located throughout the community.  No furniture, trees, tires, etc..... Anyone found disposing of these items are subject to fines.  Republic Waste Services empties the dumpsters twice per week- every Tuesday and Friday.  Summit County is in charge of providing the waste services throughout Powder Wood at Landmark.  If items are thrown into the dumpsters that are not allowed, they will simply remove them and leave them for us to dispose of.  This can be very costly, and is strictly prohibited.  

Where do I get a mailbox key?


The mailboxes at Powder Wood are owned by the US Postal Service.  The HOA does not have keys or copies of mailbox keys.  The number of each unit's mailbox is not on file with the HOA, either.  For information pertaining to the mail, which mailbox belongs to your condo, etc. please contact the Park City post office at 1-800-275-8777.

Is internet included with the Comcast cable?

As of 1.1.2020, Xfinity- Comcast added internet along with the bulk cable services provided to Powder Wood units.  For cable questions, please call Comcast at 1-855-307-4896, or visit the Park City location to obtain updated equipment.